And I’m totally OK with that.
The Reasonably Attractive Vesty project didn’t turn out. At all. So I gave the whole vest thing another shot with a project I called Tinsel.
I saw Red Heart’s Holiday in craft stores last year and thought it was far too pretty to be such a bargain basement yarn. When holiday season came around again and it was back on shelves I took the opportunity to buy three skeins to make into something pretty to wear.
Holiday is an acrylic yarn with a metallic thread of tinsel wound around it. I picked red yarn with red metallic for this project (it also comes in a few other Christmasy color combinations). The pattern is called Talia and is by SweaterBabe.com.
This vest has a button closure on the front, so it’s knitted back and forth instead of in the round. It has a pretty scroll-lace pattern across the bottom and up the front.
I got about 10 rows in and made a pretty huge mistake. Unfortunately I didn’t notice it until I was about 25 rows into the project. I put the button holes on the wrong side. Whoops. I hope no one studies my stuff too closely.
Other than that mistake I think the vest turned out great. Here’s what it looked like after I finished knitting the main part of the vest:
Then I seamed the shoulders and added the garter-stitch edging to the sleeves and collar:
After the knitting it needed a bit more work to get the final look. You can see the scroll-lace part of the vest is all scrunched up. It was also a bit too short on me. So I tossed it through the wash (according to the directions on the label of course) to see if that would open it up a bit. And it did, kind of. But not enough. So I used the steam setting on my iron to steam-block it.
From what I understand steam-blocking an acrylic garment is permanent, so I measured carefully to make sure it was even. I think I got it about right.
So much better! I really dig it. Here’s a few more pics.
‘Scuse me while I rock on with my dorky self.